5 Alternative Uses for Sugar – Cool Life hacks!

Make Your Life Easier With These 5 Alternative Uses for Sugar 3 685x1024 5 Alternative Uses for Sugar   Cool Life hacks!

Make Your Life Easier With These 5 Alternative Uses for Sugar with this cool life hacks!

Sugar is great in a cup of coffee or to use when making sweet treats like cookies and cakes; however, did you know it can be helpful in other ways as well?

1.) Just like the song says, “a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down,”  sugar really offers some benefits to easing pain.

• Most of us know how it feels to burn your tongue on that hot chocolate or hot coffee.  Next time, just take one teaspoon of sugar and let it melt on your tongue or suck on a sugar cube.
  • If you have taken a bite of something that ended up being a little, or a lot, spicier than you thought it was going to be try sprinkling a little sugar in your mouth to ease the spiciness.
  • If you’re taking your infant or toddler in for shots try giving them a little sugar mix to help ease the pain of the injection.  Mix four parts water to one part sugar and give it to them in a sippy cup or on their pacifier.
  • Sprinkle some sugar on a bug bite, sting, or open sore and it will kill the bacteria.  Sugar is a fantastic anti-bacterial alternative.  It should also help lessen the pain and the itching, as well.

2.) Get rid of those pesky pests both indoor and out doors with sugar.

• Wasps hanging around your house?  Try boiling a little water with 4 tablespoons of sugar; you want it to be a sticky liquid. Let it cool, then pour it into glass jars, like mason jars. Leave it outside, or in, wherever you typically see wasps. They will fly in because of the sweetness, but because of the stickiness they won’t be able to fly out again.
  • Roaches are just nasty, but did you know they like sugar?  Combine one part baking soda and one part sugar.  Place it in a small dish (like the lid for a jar) and place it low so they can climb into it. The baking soda is a natural roach killer, so the sugar will lure the roaches and the baking soda will kill them.

3.) It is never good to be craving that chocolate chip cookie only to bite into it and it be stale. †Use some sugar to keep those baked goods fresh for longer.

• Place a couple of sugar cubes in the container where you keep your cookies, biscuits, and any other baked goods.
  • You can also sprinkle a bit of sugar on top of freshly cake slices or baked bread.
  • Don’t rush out to buy sugar cubes when you can easily make your own. Take one cup of sugar and three teaspoons of water and mix thoroughly together. Place some parchment paper in a baking dish (a bread pan size dish works perfect).  Spread the sugar water mixture evenly in the bottom of the pan, using your hands press it down firmly in the pan; you want it to be tightly packed down in the pan. Bake at 250 F for about an hour. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes to cool. Carefully take the parchment paper out of the pan and very carefully break the sugar cubes apart.
  • You can also keep cheese fresh a bit longer if you store it in an airtight container and add a sugar cube to the container.

4.) Sugar would not have been my first go to item for making cleaners but works very well for removing stains and getting rid of odors.

• When kids are playing outside it seems grass stains are inevitable.  Next time, to get them clean, mix a sugar water paste (you want the paste to be thick) using equal parts water and sugar. Apply the paste on the stain and let it sit overnight. Wash as normal. Check for the stain when you get it out of the washer and if it is still there repeat the sugar/water paste treatment.
  • Stinky appliances are never a good thing. Scoop about a half cup of sugar into the dishwasher/ washer or other appliances and run it though. Take a sniff and enjoy the odor-free smell!
  • Clean your kitchen of those left-behind food smells by boiling some water with a little bit of sugar. This will get rid of all the unpleasant odors.

5.) We have all heard of sugar body scrubs, but there are other beauty ideas you can use sugar for!

• After working outside in the garden or on the car your hands can be covered in dirt and other grit and grime. Mix some sugar in with your hand soap and scrub your hands clean.
  • Mix a bit of olive oil with sugar and rub it on your lips. Allow it to sit for a few minutes then wipe it off with a wash cloth. This will leave your lips soft and smooth.
  • This may seem very odd, but extend the life of your lip stick. After you apply it to your lips dip them into a shallow bowl of sugar. Lick the sugar off and you will be amazed at how long the lip color lasts.
  • Sugar is a great natural exfoliant. Mix several tablespoons of olive oil, a cup of sugar, and a couple drops of your favorite essential oil. Simply rub the sugar scrub on your skin and wash it off in the shower with warm water and a wash cloth.

Do you have any alternative ways you use sugar around the house?  I’d love to hear them in the comments!  And if you enjoyed these, be sure to check out my cool life hacks on uses for salt!

1. I love these tips, especially the one for wasps and roaches! Who knew? No chemical pesticide! Thanks so much for this post!

2. denise smith says:

i loved the post thanks for sharing this

3. Alison Gibb says:

Wow, some great ways to use sugar. I do love sugar scrubs. I did not know about putting sugar in appliances. I am going to use some in my washer today!

4. Linda Manns says:

I can not believe all these uses for sugar. I really enjoyed this article. Thank you for sharing. I will definitely try some of these suggestions

5. Judy Lipcsak says:

I love tips like this. I didn’t know about the antibacterial uses of sugar. This was really useful.

6. Jennifer Heintz says:

Thenk you for this write-up. Never would have dreamed that sugar could be used for so many purposes, especially for face washing. I will be sure to try some of these ideas.

7. Christina G. says:

I had no idea that boiling sugar in water gets rid of odors. What a great tip. Thanks for sharing!

8. I love that there are so many uses for sugar besides being a sweetener. I didn’t know the recipe to create home-made sugar cubes (I don’t recall the last time I saw them available at a store, so this helps), which sounds easy enough. I also love that sugar can be used to eliminate odor in appliances as well as the whole kitchen. And keeping cheese fresh and other snacks from going stale with adding sugar to their containers sounds like such an easy solution! Thanks!

9. April Farley says:

To rid yourself of roaches , ants ect . Really any pest you can mix Diatomaceous earth with a bit of sugar. I just found out about diatomaceous earth. It is a natural occurring element that happens when rocks are pressed together over thousands of years, basically. Well it acts like glass on bugs skeletal systems which are on the out side of their bodies. and it literally cuts them apart. There is “Food Grade” Diatomacious earth that you can brush your teeth with and it wont hurt you! But kills BED BUGS & LICE! I have used it in my garden this year! AWESOME!
    Your tips and hacks are pretty sweet! Pun intended :o))

10. Wow, I hadn’t heard any of these before. I will definitely be trying most of these tips out. Sharing this post!

11. I didn’t realize sugar could repel wasps! Great tips.

12. Wow, I had no idea that sugar could be used for so many things. And, it’s something that everyone usually has on hand.

13. Great tips! I’ll be using some of these for sure!

14. Shakeia Rieux says:

Thanks for the tips

15. Irene Newstead says:

Thanks for the information. We always took our Buckley’s cough syrup poured over a teaspoon of sugar which was then left to sit long enough for the syrup to soak into the sugar. It made it a lot easier to take and did seem to help stop the coughing.

16. I like to use sugar in the shower on my legs. It works well and is cheaper than regular bath scrub.

17. Quite fascinating! I would never have thought of these!

18. Melissa George says:

thank you so much for such awesome idea. it makes my life much easier and i dint know that sugar itself has some amazaing uses and can be used in many different ways.

19. Jennifer Nielsen says:

THank you for sharing! I am going to definitely use some of these great ideas.

20. Neat! I’ve never seen life hacks using sugar before!

21. Interesting tips.

22. These are all great tips my favorite is using sugar cubes to keep baked goods fresh for linger. Thank you for sharing this post, I found it very informative.

23. Dianna Davis says:

Wow !! What great information– I knew a couple, but not all of these. Thanks so much for sharing. I have some new uses for sugar now. :-)

Trackbacks

1. […] you enjoyed these life hacks, be sure and check out my article on sugar life hacks!  If you have any suggestions for uses for salt, please leave me a […]