Alternative Uses for Salt that Could Save You Money – Cool Life Hacks!

Alternative uses for salt that could save you money 4 740x1024 Alternative Uses for Salt that Could Save You Money   Cool Life Hacks!

Alternative Uses for Salt that Could Save You Money

Salt can be used for so much more than cooking in the kitchen. You will be amazed at all the amazing things salt can do! Check out these cool life hacks for salt that could save you money.

Is that old broom ready for a replacement?  Before heading to the store to spend your money on a new broom try out this little trick. Let your current broom soak in a bucket of hot salt water for about 30 minutes and allow it to dry over night.  In the morning those dull, weak bristles will be good as new!  Try this on sponges as well – mix three parts water to one part salt and soak the sponge overnight.  Also, to keep your toothbrush lasting longer, soak it in a cup of salt water before you use it the first time.

Do you have burned-on food or, even worse, burnt milk on your pots and pans? Try sprinkling a little salt and getting it a little damp. Wait a few minutes until you see the burnt food or milk begin to loosen, then rinse it with some warm soapy water. Salt even helps with those nasty stove top or oven spills; as soon as you can, while it is still fresh, sprinkle it with salt and scrub the mess away (just be sure that the surface is cool enough for you to be safe touching it).

Clean that messy fridge without spending money on store-bought chemical cleaning products. Just put one part salt and three parts water in a bucket. Get a sponge and start cleaning the fridge. The salt will help fight odors and will not harm the glass shelves in your fridge.

With summer here, the bugs are all out and ready to bite or sting. As soon as you have been stung by a bee, you need to wet the sting and cover it with salt. This will help ease the pain and decrease the swelling. (If you’re allergic to bee stings get IMMEDIATE medical attention.)The mosquitoes are horrible outside! To alleviate the itching from a mosquito bite, soak the bite in salt water and then apply a little vegetable oil. This also works for chigger bites.  If you have been camping and accidentally got into poison ivy try soaking it in hot salt water to relieve the itching. If you have it all over you might consider taking a hot salt water bath.

If there are pesky grasses or weeds growing between your patio, driveway, or sidewalk blocks or bricks just spread some salt carefully in the cracks and wet it down with some water or you can wait for it to rain.

If your closet is smelling like stinky feet, deodorize your shoes by sprinkling a little bit of salt in the canvas shoes in your closet every now and then. This will help soak up the moisture and knock out the odor.

To deodorize your sink drain and to keep the grease from building up, just pour a little salt mixed with some hot water down the drain regularly.

In the winter, cities usually have trucks that go out and salt the streets from getting icy and slick. Did you know this will also work on your windows? Wipe the windows in your house with a sponge that has been dipped in salt water and let them dry. This will keep them frost-free. For your car windows, just keep a little cloth bag filled with salt in your car; when the windows are wet just rub them with the bag. Next time it snows, your car windows will not be covered with snow or ice!

Is your coffee pot or coffee cup stained? Scrub away those ugly coffee rings by sprinkling a little salt onto a damp sponge and rubbing it in tiny circles around the stain.  If it is a persistent stain, mix equal proportions of salt and white vinegar and rub with a damp sponge.

Getting splattered by grease when you’re cooking bacon can be painful and extremely messy. Next time you’re cooking bacon just add a few pinches of salt to the pan before you begin to fry any food that will splatter. You will be cooking with less mess and no pain!

Waiting for water to boil can be a slow boring process. Next time just add a few dashes of salt to the water. It will make the water boil at a higher temp so the noodles or whatever food you’re cooking will require less time on the stove.

Making fruit salad in advance can result in browning apples and pears. To keep the apples and pears looking fresh, soak them for a few minutes in a bowl of salt water.

Add a tiny bit of salt to a carton of milk or cream and it will stay fresh a few days longer.

Yellow perspiration stains on shirts seem almost impossible to get rid of. Try dissolving about 5 tablespoons of salt in 1 quart of hot water. Take a sponge and soak it in the salt water and rub it on the shirt until the stain disappears.

Slugs and snails eating up your garden?  Take some salt to the garden and saturate the slugs and snails.

Boost your circulation and remove dead skin by giving yourself a massage with salt. Right after you get out of the tub, while your skin is still wet, massage dry salt into your skin. You can use either regular salt or sea salt crystals.

Out of toothpaste and need a quick fix?  Add two parts baking soda with one part salt then dip your toothbrush into the mixture and brush like you normally would.

If you have sores in your mouth just rinse with a little warm saltwater a few times a day.

Gargling with warm salt water will help a sore throat.

Up late with the kids last night or hanging out with friends watching a great movie that had you in tears? Mix a little salt with hot water and apply it to any swollen, puffy areas around your eyes with a cotton ball. The salt will tighten the skin and help draw out the moisture.

If you enjoyed these life hacks, be sure and check out my article on sugar life hacks!  If you have any suggestions for uses for salt, please leave me a comment!

1. this is good to know–thanks for sharing this post–very helpful

2. KATE SARSFIELD says:

Thanks so much for this – I try to use as few chemicals as possible.

3. Hey,
    Got here through Naznin’s blog. Loved these tips on salt, never knew many of these tips! Cool post! I am subbing to your blog already 😉
    Do check out my blog too! It would be a great pleasure :) Thank you <3

4. April Farley says:

It truly is amazing at all the things you can use salt for! Some of these tips I had never heard of! Thanks for posting you swanky thing you !

5. Wow, so many uses for salt! I’m going to have to try out the remedies for mosquito bites. And keep in mind for bees and poison ivy! The tricks for burnt food on pots and pans will save me loads of time, and water! Thanks for listing all of these ways to use salt!

6. joann tompkins winborn says:

very informative review! thanks for sharing!

7. Alison Gibb says:

It’s amazing what a simple thing like salt can do. It is cheap and in everyones homes. Thank you for all the information!

8. Loving all your little life hacks! You have a beautiful blog! I’m following!

9. thanks!!! will try this on my drain next time!

10. I had no idea salt could be used for so many things.All I know is that I salt everything that I eat. Maybe a bit too much.

11. I’m totally going to try the trick when frying bacon! Thanks for the ideas!

12. Thanks for all the uses for salt. I did not know that soaking apples in water with a little salt would keep them from turning brown.

13. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

some great tips here, I’d not known a lot of them so thanks for sharing – going to check out the sugar life hacks now!

14. I love the little bit of salt to keep milk good longer. Thanks for all the information..all new to me!

15. I love that this is something that saves me money and uses something I already have in the house

16. cheryl lister says:

Amazing! I’ve not heard of many of these tips before. Will have to try out the pot cleaning tip today.

17. lynn brannen says:

We always use warm salty water to gargle with if your throat feels sore.

18. Another one is using salt to clean your iron soleplate if you *accidentally* melted anything to it. 😉

19. Sarah Vegetabile says:

Some of these I knew but some I am surprised at! Thank you on sharing! Great way to save money and not use chemicals!!

20. There are a LOT of helpful hints in there that I wasn’t aware of. I am pinning this post right now so that I can refer to it later (and share it with my followers)! Thanks for the great info!

21. Wow, I never knew there were so many uses for salt. Some of these will definitely come in handy, I have bookmarked this page. Thanks for sharing.

22. I love these ideas as we try to be as green as possible! Thank you!

23. Amy Tebow says:

Wow these are some interesting tips! I will certainly use some of the ideas! Thanks

24. Linda Manns Linneman says:

I never knew you could use salt for so many things. I am just amazed, especially with the bee stings. Thank you so much for sharing these great tips

25. These are all good uses for salt. I enjoy reading about other uses for household products in order to save money.

26. Deborah D says:

I never knew salt had this many uses. I will try cleaning my fridge with it.

27. Thanks for all of these great uses for salt that I have never even heard of. Soaking an old broom and putting salt in your bacon pan are two things I am going to try today.

28. Wow, I was not aware of all the different uses for salt. Thanks for this, I’m printing it off for myself.

29. Jacqueline Dunkin says:

Thank you so much for this article! I often wondered how to reduce the dark circles under my eyes (genetics.) Will definitely have to try that one sometime. I absolutely love these ideas! Now if only I could remember them! :)

30. sheryl granholm says:

Wow, who knew salt could be so useful! :)

31. Wow, these are great! I’d heard of some of them but a lot of these were totally new. I had no idea about the house and car windows/window shield non-frost tip. Thanks so much for sharing!

32. I’m a collector of tips, tricks and hacks so I really liked this post. Thanks!

33. Great tips, thanks!

34. Donna Hankovich says:

I really like the neat ideas for using salt!

35. I’m going to have to try the salt in the milk. We always have a lot of milk around here, though it never last long enough for it to actually go bad, still want to try it though.

36. These are all great alternative uses for table salt. My favorite is using salt to deodorize your shoes by sprinkling a little bit of salt in the canvas shoes in your closet every now and then. This will help soak up the moisture and knock out the odor. Thank you for sharing these tips.

37. Jennifer McKinney says:

So neat! I love reading about life hacks. There are some really neat ideas out there. I like the bug bite/sting one!

38. Dianna Davis says:

wow!! I had no idea that you could do so much with salt. I only knew a couple of these things. This was great information

39. Alison Gibb says:

Wow, I had no idea there are so many uses for salt. I like the suggestion of putting salt between the patio blocks to kill the weeds. I have spent so much money on weed killers!

40. Cathy Jarolin says:

Thankyou for posting this list of things salt is good for! I pinned so I would have it. I never realized how many different uses there were for salt!!

41. Tamra Phelps says:

I had no idea about most of these! Who knew salt would keep milk fresher longer!?

Trackbacks

1. […] Do you have any alternative ways you use sugar around the house?  I’d love to hear them in the comments!  And if you enjoyed these, be sure to check out my cool life hacks on uses for salt! […]

2. […] Michelle of Swanky Point of View wrote a cool post which lists alternative uses for salt so that you can save money. Some are really cool […]